Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Food Choices

Here's another post about that again...

When I woke up this morning, I was faced with these choices for breakfast:

Option One
Spinach Shake (It's YUMMY'er than it sounds!)
1 whole banana, 1 cup coconut water, 1/4 fresh Orange, a little ice and a handful of spinach

Option Two
One bowl of Multi Grain Cheerios


Option Three
One bowl of Fruit Pebbles


So ... what did I choose and what did my thought process look like??
Well, to be perfectly honest, I wanted Option One. Really I did.  Honest.  I had that exact smoothie the other day and it was perfectly delicious.  Why I didn't go with Option One is simple: The blender is noisy and my family was snoozing.  Plus, the spinach is expensive and with my new hobby of eating right and exercising more, I have to ration those expensive nutrients so that they last throughout the whole week.  Spinach is my friend, I love it. It tastes good and is about the healthiest thing I put in my body.  Making a spinach smoothie for breakfast seems like a smart way to start the day.

Option Two was enticing at just 110 calories per 1 cup serving.  Of course, my serving sizes are a bit bigger than that...  but the package label promised lots of good nutrients despite my inability to scarf just one serving on an empty stomach.

Option Three.  Ahhhh Fruity Pebbles - let me tell you something about Fruit Pebbles.  They are so delicious.  It's my weakness - delicious, sugary cereal. ..... I recognize that's CRAP though.  No nutrients. But, at only 110 calories per 3/4 cup serving, it was a hard thing to pass up this morning.
Why do I have CRAP cereal in the house, anyway?  Well - I believe that my kids need to be exposed to, offered, and sometimes even tempted with CRAP every once in a while in their own house so that they are not overcome with pure joy when they encounter such crap at a friends house or at grandmas house (for example) elsewhere in their lives.   .... The fact that we let our kids consume CRAP on a regular basis does not make me a bad parent. On the contrary, I'm quite a smart, educated one. :)    My kids are allowed one helping of CRAP twice a week - on the weekends only.  They choose between a bowl of something like delectably delicious and oh-so-naughty Fruit Pebbles and a banana or a bowl of Raisin Bran and some pop tarts.  Either way, they get CRAP and we all win.  Somehow that works, think about it.
ANYWAY.....  I am happy to report that I opted for Option Two. My helping of MultiGrain Cheerios was LOADED with vitamins and minerals and whole grains that sustained me until lunch.

However, I think it's a bit cruel and unusual that Fruit Pebbles appears to be a contender in this... don't you?  

Ahhh the weight OUT is in October. I'm thinking Fruity Pebbles Treats will be a nice reward for winning the grand prize. :)

No comments: